Mr. Joseph McCall Oxley established Oxley Funeral Home in 1931. Mr. Oxley and his family were longtime recognized and respected members of the Northeast Florida and Southeast Georgia areas. They served families in Nassau and Duval Counties as well as Camden and Charlton Counties in Georgia.
The original location was at the corner of South 5th and Centre Streets in downtown Fernandina and in 1948 the funeral home was relocated to the Historic John Denham Palmer House (c. 1891) on Atlantic Avenue where the caring staff continues to assist families today.
Mr. Oxley passed away in 1957 and his wife, Margaret Pickett Oxley, with the assistance of her cousin, Mr. E. C. “Buddy” Burgess, Jr. continued the tradition of the family owned and operated funeral home.
In 1974, John H. Heard acquired the funeral home with the commitment to continue the foundational traditions which had been laid forth by the Oxley Family. Mr. Burgess passed away in 1994 and the new Chapel of the Oxley-Heard Funeral Home was dedicated in his memory.
Today, Oxley-Heard Funeral Directors continue the time-honored tradition of providing unparallel service with a genuine personal caring commitment to the residents of Nassau County, Amelia Island, Fernandina Beach and Yulee areas.